Best Answer

Related Post

Spread the word

Digg this post

Bookmark to delicious

Stumble the post

Add to your technorati favourite

Subscribes to this post

Related Searches

4 Comments Already

TEFL World Wiki Said,
March 10th, 2012 @9:32 pm  

Ok, the link below will run you through the whole process, but basically:

1. Get qualified. In general you’ll need a degree and a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate to get a visa and work. The degree can be in almost any subject as it is usually required for the visa only so you will be fine with the degree you’ll have soon. The TEFL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option (see

2. Decide where you want to go. I’m guessing you’re American without a passport from Europe which means you will find it easiest to get work in South America or Asia (Korea, China, Japan, Vietnam, etc). Look at the country options and make a choice.

2. Find a job. First time teachers usually do this through an agency or privately through an online ad.

And then go! It really is as simple as that!

Shafiqul Said,
March 10th, 2012 @9:49 pm  

Know about the culture of the respective country, English is not simply a language there, you should have good knowledge of the language(s) of the country as well.

TESOL Expert Said,
March 10th, 2012 @10:32 pm  

The first step is take a TESOL course, on-site or online. Different countries require different levels of certification. A 100-hour TESOL certificate is enough to get you an entry-level position in most places.

Then apply to jobs. Don’t follow guaranteed job ads or paid internship programs and you’ll be safe from scams. There are tons of recruiters out there for Asia and the Middle East who will help you for free.

Europe is off limits if you do not have a EU passport, but there are ways to get a work permit in Germany, Spain, Poland, and Czech Republic.

The thing about Europe and Latin America is that you have to go there and apply to jobs in person, and it can be very costly. Pay is also very bad in Europe, so better save money teaching in South Korea and then go on a fun vacation to Europe.

Ian Said,
March 10th, 2012 @11:19 pm  

For the most part in Asia you don’t need a TEFL certificate. Here’s the starters guide

Good luck!

Powered by Yahoo! Answers