Best Answer

Related Post

Spread the word

Digg this post

Bookmark to delicious

Stumble the post

Add to your technorati favourite

Subscribes to this post

Related Searches

4 Comments Already

Denise Said,
March 16th, 2014 @10:43 am  

Apply to a college or university. Since you are doing A’levels, you would be able to get advanced standing, meaning you would be given 2nd year status (sophmore) and not first year status (freshman). Just realize that colleges/universities are not required to give you financial aid. That will mean you probably will have to borrow money in the form of loans or have you parents pay. What you should look at are the schools’ “catalog” which is the American version of prospectus.

Katrin Said,
March 16th, 2014 @11:42 am  

If you wanted you could find a university in the UK that has a link with a university in America,
they could possibly give you prospectuses or contact details for different uni’s
also if your looking for a specific uni, then try and google them, most university’s have there own website and most likely have an email address that you can email your queries to.
Also if you didn’t want to go for the whole time of your university life in America there is are many universities in the UK that are linked to US Uni’s and can send you over there for a year or semester to carry out your studies.
there are many uni’s in America, choose wisely
and good luck :)

drip Said,
March 16th, 2014 @11:48 am  

There are 3000 colleges in the US and most of them are good colleges. do you want a large school or small one. in the city or out in the country, on the coast or in the mountains. Near an airport.

to find out requirements and how to apply. go to any college web site, go to admissions/undergrad/international student. You can email the admissions office with any questions.

dancing_smurf Said,
March 16th, 2014 @12:24 pm  

The State Department web site should have information on how to apply for a student visa in the US or you can contact the American Consulate in London. I suspect if you contact the American Consulate then it might help you get your questions answered quicker and may get the information to you sooner. Ideally you should apply to US universities early as soon as they will accept applications for the 2011 / 2012 academic year because you student visa may take a while to process.

In addition to that you will need to find some sources to fund your education as you will most likely not be eligible for US government backed aid. Unlike the UK American university fees are not regulated by the government. This means you could potentially spend up ot $100,000 per year when you factor in tuition, room, living, textbooks, supplies, fees, transport, health insurance, medical expenses, clothing, and other incidentals. A more realistic figure will be in the neighborhood of $30,000 – $60,000 per year. Maybe slightly less if you attend some of the state universities in the mid-west like University of South Dakota, University of North Dakota, or University of Nebraska. You will not know the exact figure until you know where you will be attending and the expenses you will incur.

With that said the other thing you will need to be aware is that the US education system is very different than the UK system. American students continue studying math, history, English, literature, natural science, and social sciences until they graduate high school at age 18. This structure is continued in the university system in which your degree, depending on the institution and degree type, will require you to take 25% – 50% of your degree in supportive courses. If you have not done a breadth of A-Levels (e.g. Maths, English, a natural science, and a social science) you may find that you are behind some of your American counter-parts and that some of your courses are difficult due to the lack of exposure to the subject from ages (14 – 18).

Another difference you will encounter is grading and testing. Americans are tested more regularly and through different routes. Examples may include doing a paper, handing in home work, quizzes and tests. This may require you to manage your time better and do more reviewing than what you are used.

Fifth, you will need to contact any university that you are interested in attending to find out if you need to take the ACT or SAT admission tests along with TOEFL. In the US the ACT or SAT scores are used to determine admission. SAT is primarily English and Math. ACT is broader covering English, Math, Science, and Social Sciences. Most likely you will have to take either ACT or SAT for admission. SAT from my understanding is the preferred test by the top east coast universities. It has been a while since I have kept up with them but I do believe you can take them in the UK. However since your education is in English then TOEFL may not be necessary but you need to find out to be sure.

Finally you ask about what are good universities probably the top is Columbia when it comes to journalism, University of South Dakota also has a good program, and so does UCLA.

Best advice is between now and late July do your research. Also begin looking at funding sources then once you can begin applying start your applications since there is no central clearing service, like UCAS in the UK. If you are not planning then you may miss out on the opportunity to attend university in the US until the 2012 / 2013 school year.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers