Best Answer

Related Post

Spread the word

Digg this post

Bookmark to delicious

Stumble the post

Add to your technorati favourite

Subscribes to this post

Related Searches

3 Comments Already

BB Said,
December 13th, 2010 @10:10 am  

teachers academy in the cuny system are a good choice…..

k-rock Said,
December 13th, 2010 @10:14 am  

I teach in KY. Teaching requirements vary from state to state, so you would have to look into the specifics for the state you intend to teach in. The only area I know that offers a program from K-12 is Special Education Learning and Behavioral Disabilities. This certificate allows you to teach students in grades K-12 with mild disabilities. I have this and I also have a middle grade and secondary certificate which would allow me to teach grades 5-12 in my specific content area. I would recommend meeting with an advisor from the college you plan on attending to get things organized. You can probably do most of your general studies classes online, but you will have to do field work in the classroom when you get to content area classes (or at least I did).

Cynthia LY Said,
December 13th, 2010 @10:43 am  

Teachers working in the United States as pre-school, kindergarten, elementary, middle, or secondary school teachers, in the public school system, require a license. The nature of the licensing requirements varies by state (and in the District of Columbia).

In some states, alternative teacher licensing is possible as part of efforts designed to reduce the teacher training requirement.

Investigate teacher-credential or certification programs at the college or university you plan to attend. Decide whether you prefer elementary education (one possible major) or secondary school teaching, for which you major in the subject you plan to teach.

Earn your bachelor’s degree: All states require at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and some states require a master’s degree. A broad liberal arts undergraduate education will help prepare you for a career as a teacher. If you know you want to be a teacher, you can get your bachelor’s in education and then specialize.

Seek employment as a teacher’s aide or a substitute teacher if you are already in the workforce and have completed some college. If you already have a college degree, you might be eligible to obtain your credential while teaching full-time in an area with teacher shortages.

Expect credential requirements to include numerous standardized tests and mandatory classroom experience prior to a full year of student teaching, in addition to your degree in education or in your teaching subject. Teacher training programs often add a fifth year to college.

Familiarize yourself with the services of your campus or school of education career center. They offer job search counseling and will connect you to school districts with openings.

Join a professional association in your teaching specialty, such as the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) or the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA).

Make sure that you enroll in an accredited certification program. If you’re planning to teach outside the state where you’re studying, inquire early about credential requirements for the state(s) where you want to teach.

additional information here:

Powered by Yahoo! Answers